Wokka-wokka – All the tone, but none of the suck, the Vox Wah True Bypass mod!In my initial foray into the world of wah, I bought a Jim Dunlop Crybaby from my local ma and pa guitar shop. I had a horrible drive pedal, the DOD Grunge pedal, and the wah. I was going for Hendrix, SRV, Satriani… Yes, I had sounds in my head I was trying to match. Sadly, none, and I mean NONE of my setting on the crybaby came even close to where I wanted to be. About five years later, I tried a Vox V847 wah and fell in love! This was the true tone I had been looking for. It had a simple sweep, a minimalistic build, and the Vox V847 model really is built for interchangablility and tinkering.
A side note: I have owned the Deluxe Clyde Fulltone wah as well. All of the bells and whistles are on this pedal, but the Vox just nails the tone that I need in an absolutely economical and well built package.
I would go so far as to say that if you are entering the world of pedal modding, start with a Vox V847 pedal. Swap out some parts and get your soldering skills up to par. All of the mode one will do to this pedal are certainly felt, and heard. Perhaps the most important mod, however is the Vox wah True Bypass mod.
Materials needed to fix your Vox Wah:
You can see by the pictures that the old switch in place already has three wires attached to it. We will reattach all three of these wires to the poles of the 3pdt switch.
Here are the steps in order to fix your Vox Wah!
- Desolder wires to SPDT (stock switch), remove it, and Install new 3PDT with the connection tabs running horizontally to the length of the wah pedal.
- Remove circuit board with screwdriver
- Cut Brown wire where it meets PCB Quick Disconnect Harness, reinstall circuit board.
- Desolder other end of brown wire from the input jack.
- Cut new length of wire and solder to where the brown wire was on the input jack. I use a purple wire in my build. Route this wire along side of the other three (green, blue, and white) to the new switch.
- Solder wires in these locations of the switch
- Green (from Harness) to the top left hand corner of the switch.
- Blue (from Pot) to the top right hand corner of the switch.
- White to the the terminal righ hand center row.
- The new wire (mine is purple) from your input jack to the left center row of the switch.
- Adda jumper wire between the lower left and lower right terminals of the switch.
- You are done!!!
This mod bypasses the circuitry of your wah pedal when it is “off”. The tone suck has been bypassed, making your signal a bit more “true” 🙂
Tone heaven! Enjoy!