So, you need a TS-808? Why not two? Enter the Visual Sound Double Trouble Overdrive!
After embarking on the journey of ugly green overdrives including:
- Ibanez TS9
- Visual Sound’s Jekyll & Hyde (in which the Jekyll side houses the same effect within the Double Trouble)
- Keeley’s modded TS9DX
- Maxon OD808
I have finally landed with the Double Trouble.
- 2 TS-808 type pedal circuits wired in series
- A noise gate (See Circuit Board Pic)
- An internal trim pot that does something…researching this currently…
- Bass Boost on each channel (Hardly Used)
- Switches rated at 10 million stomps (Really?)
- An Aluminum Casing that one could drive a truck over (Don’t Ask)
- The lamest graphic ever to adorn a pedal. (Dice)
- A Lighter Shade of (Sick) Green paint.
The sounds generated by this are what makes this pedal exceptional, as they more than make up for the tacky yet rugged external features. This definitely has a coloration that is more modern sounding than other TS variants.
Each side of the pedal is independent of the other. I dial the red LED side in for light drive, and the Blue (2nd in series) is dialed for a little more hair and volume. Each side sounds great in light/driven musical applications. The money is when one cascades these two channels. Wow, do they play nicely with each other. I don’t quite know what I would ever need a distortion pedal for (aside from a fuzz pedal for spacy stuff). Placing a Morning Glory Clone directly before it in the effects chain created one of the most gorgeous sounds I have ever heard from a guitar. From my guitar…You know that feeling. Keep the Morning Glory on for a pristine Clean, and add the gain stages based on the song application. For more n gain staging, read John Mayer’s addition to the idea…
The Noise gate is something else on this pedal. It definitely works quite well when setting the noise gate (via internal switch see circuit board pic)
I would recommend this to ANYONE looking for a usable, versatile dual overdrive pedal.
As Steven Tyler once said so arrogantly, “Yup, (It’s) that good.”
[usrlist Hardware:4 “Sounds:4” “Vibe:3″ Value:4 avg=”true”]
Get your Visual Sound Double Trouble Overdrive today!