The force is strong wth this one… the Madbean Pedals Kingslayer Klone Trooper
Having tried out a string of klones, my friend, Charlie, offered to build me a Klon type pedal. He is an experienced hobby builder, and comes up with some cool creations, including an old jewelry tin embossed with two kitties that hides one of the meanest dual fuzz circuits to my memory. Just cool!
When he started building, he let me know that this was a schematic/pcb from Madbean Pedals, namely, the Kingslayer. Like most rubes, I searched the interwebs to find out what the advantages there were to the Kingslayer over the traditional K-type. The downloadable pdf points out that this is a simplified Klon circuit.
Quoted from said pdf:
- The power supply section was simplified to a split rail structure. This retains much of the voltage spread of the Klon® and eliminates the need for a separate biasing voltage for the ICs, which are instead referenced to ground.
- Unlike the Klon®, the entire audio path of the Kingslayer is run off the higher voltage spread. This allows for a slightly larger amount of headroom.
- The two audio path ICs which are responsible for all the gain and filtering have been combined into one quad, with a specific IC suggested for the best performance and tone.
- Extra clipping choices are available with two switches. One switch toggles soft clipping in the feedback path of the IC, and the second switch allows you to switch between two sets of hard clipping, or no clipping.
- A few value changes were made in both the gain and tone sections.These changes add back a little extra gain lost to the higher headroom, and push the tone control range a little bit further down the spectrum.
The build quality that Charlie exerts is top-notch. Since the new Klons have given up the cool 50’s toaster-y looking enclosure for a stock Hammond. Virtually anyone can capture the vibe of the KTR and then some by mimicking the Gold and Maroon colors of the original Centaur.
THE COOLEST THING, however…check out the graphic that my buddy Matt came up with…just genius. The Klone Trooper Centaur. Just metal.
- One to choose Germanium, no-load, or LED diodes
- One for Bass boost or stock
- One to rule them all and in the darkness… wait…
- One to choose hard or soft clipping
This Klon – type definitely adds a little something extra as the pdf says…which would be an understatement. This thing has turned out to be my number one gun. A great foundation to build off of. Clarity, pristine drive, boost, treble, and presence. It’s always on.
A Keeper. If you want to purchase your own Klone Trooper Pedal, message Random Affects through Facebook.
[usrlist Hardware:5 “Sounds:5” “Vibe:5″ Value:5 avg=”true”]