So you’d like more sustain from your bridge and tailpiece? You’d like more brrrraaaannnng? The Faber ABR-1 and Tailpiece w/ Tone-loc and iNsert kit. Faber Hardware for Les Paul guitars
Lately I’ve been haing gear envy. Not just a little bit, but big time. The gear in question is in regards to my 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Bought in 1998 at the suggestion of my wife, I’ve loved this guitar. It records well, holds tuning (because of a warranty exchange for new machine heads), and is straight up simple.
First off this summer, I tried a buddy’s Les Paul copy – it rang so true. Big wide open chords sounded beautiful through this. Next up, another buddy let me try out his Les Paul Classic 1960 Standard. Incredible tone, fun to play neck.
Then I returned home to my Studio. It sounds like someone put a blanket over it. Mind you, I have exchanged virtually every piece of hardware and electronic on this axe. The Pickups are Kleins, with CTS pots, PIO caps and wiring advice from Jonesy. The only this that was still stock on the guitar was the wood itself…
Then I remembered…in 2003, I had changed the stock saddles, which had sliced apart many a string, for Graphtech saddles.
Eleven years later, I think it’s time for a change.
After ordering from Tokai in Germany (who also sell some beautiful knock-off instruments, I might add…) the shipping was a hop, skip, and a jump to Sweden.
The parts arrived in a small, unassuming package.
A comparison of the steel and aluminum Faber parts to those Gibson used revealed how cheap in composition the Gibson parts really were (a zinc-pot metal mix called Zamak).
The parts matched up in size, and weight, though some differences were noticed. A lighter tailpiece, denser bridge, bolts and bushings.
I used a cool trick to remove the previous bushings. Drop a screw inside of the hole and then screw in the Tailpiece screw. Eventually the bushing starts to back out of the space.
The install of the new bushings for the bridge and tailpiece was super simple. A Teflon insert and wooden block insured that no harm was done to the hardware as the hammer secured them into place.
The Faber bridge w/ natural brass saddles sits snugly in place, and the tailpiece now locked onto the posts.
The sonic leap from Graphtechs to the brass saddles was immediate. To be fair, the difference might not be as drastic with regular saddles. Either way, brrraaaang! Sustain….acoustic sustain for days.
Intonation was a snap, as the saddles were already situated towards the correct directions per bass and treble strings.
One of the big things I noticed from this upgrade is that the break angle from the saddle to te tailpiece was entirely clear from touching the bridge. Faber was smart to remove six notched in their bridge to be sure of clearance. That means that top-wrapping your strings from the tailpiece is no longer necessary.Faber Hardware for Les Paul guitars worked great!
[usrlist Ease-of-Install:3 “Sounds:5” “Vibe:5″ Value:5 avg=”true”]